I've been exploring organic and vegan products for quite some time now and I recently came across a local brand called Caticorn Dreams. Their products range from shampoo bars, soap bars, potty sprays, beeswax candles and more. And these are all locally formulated and made by in-house aromatherapist Jirbie Go, from New York Institute of Aromatic Studies.
Last May, they have introduced Caticorn Dreams Mineralized Vegan Deodorant and a lot of people seem to be liking it so I gave it a try too. It comes in two variants: Original (white) and Charcoal (gray). The Original one is delicately scented with lavender oil. While the Charcoal version is scented with refreshing peppermint.
What makes it different from conventional deodorants is the ingredients used to make it. These are the key ingredients of the Caticorn Dreams Mineralized Vegan Deodorant and their specific benefits:
- Aloe soothes and conditions skin.
- Arrowroot powder absorbs moisture and is predominantly known for its soothing properties. A natural healer for small irritations, it assists with the drying out of wounds, rashes or blemishes.
- Jojoba Oil is perfect for people with ultra sensitive skin as it mimics your skin's natural sebum and is the only non-staining oil.
- Magnesium Oil aids in reducing skin oiliness and reduce stress-related skin irritations.
- Shea Butter and Cocoa Butter moisturize and soothe irritated skin
- Essential oils are added for natural fragrance and other skin-benefitting properties.
- Kaolin clay absorbs moisture.
- Vitamin B3 helps visibly improve the appearance of uneven skin tone, fine lines, and wrinkles, dullness, and a weakened skin surface.
- Vitamin E is an anitoxidant, so it serves as a preservative.
- With Hazel and other astringent ingredients help shrink pores to reduce sweating.
Take note that it is 100% Vegan, hypoallergenic, kid-friendly, safe for pregnant and lactating women, and cruelty-free too. It does not contain the following ingredients that may be harmful for our skin and overall wellness:
- Baking soda which can sometimes cause irritation
- Parabens: Some research indicates parabens may be to blame for hormone disruptions.
- Aluminum: The metal can cause “gene instability” in breast tissue, according to a UK study.
-Triclosan: The antibacterial, which is found in many soaps, has been shown to disrupt hormone function in animals.
- Phthalates: You know how your deodorant smell sticks to your skin? That’s the phthalates. In addition to potential skin irritation, some research points to such health issues as higher rates of asthma.
I brought these with me to my trip to Cebu and tried them onto my underarms when I went to the beach. This is so I can gauge how well the product performs under the heat of the sun. Take note, I applied the Charcoal variant on my right underarm and the Regular variant on my left underarm. It sounds silly but yes I did that.
Here's the verdict: When applied, the texture is balm-like and appears transparent on the skin. It is non-sticky and my underarms were odor-free even when I was sweating a lot. I had an odd experience using the Charcoal variant though, since it was my first time using something minty on my underarms. Even when I dipped into the pool, the minty feeling was still there. I know I should be thankful for feeling a cooling sensation whilst in that hot weather but maybe I just need to get used to it? The Regular variant is something I would more likely use and would recommend, even to those who have sensitive skin.
For the price point of Php250 for a 15g deo stick, Caticorn Dreams Mineralized Vegan Deodorant is an affordable yet high performance deodorant fit for everyone.
Should you want to purchase, it is available at Belle & Stacy Nail Salon, BGC, Green Shelf, Cebu, and ECHO Store, Davao. #CaticornVeganDeo #CaticornDreams