Safe Contact Lens Wear in the time of COVID-19
Is it safe to wear contact lenses during the COVID-19 pandemic? -That is the most common question for us with eye conditions who need help on vision care at this time.
I'm quite new to wearing graded contact lenses. It started last year when I was preparing for my wedding. At first, I struggled putting the lenses on and taking them off since I wasn't used to wearing them. Eventually, after using them everyday, i got used to it. I've tried various brands of contact lenses including Korean brands, and only Alcon products suit my needs in terms of functionality and comfort.
With the pandemic going on for the past few months, I was scared of touching my face especially my eyes. That's why I stopped wearing contact lenses for a while.
But with the recent online bloggers event with Alcon, I have learned really helpful tips on safety measures of wearing contact lenses. I hope this could be the answer to your questions too!
1. There is no evidence that contact lens wearers are more at risk of acquiring COVID-19 versus eyeglass wearers. It's more about practicing safe contact lens wear and care hygiene habits.
- Thorough handwashing with soap and water and drying. Regular cleaning of contact lens case, glasses etc.
2. When you are sick, stop using contact lenses and wear glasses instead. Resume wearing fresh, new contact lenses and case when you are already well.
3. Choose the types of contact lenses depending on your needs.
AIR OPTIX® plus HydraGlyde®, with SmartShield® Technology (MONTHLY CONTACT LENSES)
Designed for the new contact lens wearer (or upgrade on lens technology) who wants long-lasting performance.
-This is what I use for casual days and I swear it's so breathable.
DAILIES® AquaComfort® Plus, with Blink-Activated Moisture Technology (1 DAY DISPOSABLE CONTACT LENSES)
Designed for the contact lens wearer who wants the ultimate contact lens wearing experience: Lenses that feel like nothing with exceptional comfort & visual acuity
-It's actually recommended to wear Dailies during this pandemic since it is more hygienic.
FreshLook® to fully meet consumer beauty needs
-If you like natural colored lenses, try this! It really enhances your natural eye color. It's good for 8 to 10 hours wearing. I love wearing colored lenses when I'm attending events.
Here's my photo wearing the AirOptix Colors in Natural Brown during my wedding day. It contains high oxygen so it's long wearing for about 18-20 hours.
And here's my photo wearing the FreshLook 1 day contact lenses in Pure Hazel. What I love about it aside from it's natural color is that I don't have to clean it after using it especially when I'm lazy.
4. Use hydrogen peroxide-based systems for cleaning, disinfecting, and storing, contact lenses to prevent the virus that causes COVID-19.
-AOSEPT PLUS ® with HydraGlyde® lens care solution features the HydraGlyde® Moisture Matrix, as well as the added strength of hydrogen peroxide. It has triple action cleaning (without preservatives) that makes your contact lenses look brand new again. I swear, it's been a treasure of a contact lens wearer! I can't believe I only found out about it now.
-The solution is not meant to be used as a regular solution. To use it, simply put the AOSEPT PLUS solution into the barrel case. Place your lenses in each side of the case. Put it inside the barrel with solution. Wait for 6 hours before using the contact lenses.
-1 AOSEPT PLUS lens care solution can last up to 2-3 months and you can keep your contact lenses in the solution for up to 1 week before changing the solution again.
5. For those with dry eye, especially with extended use of digital gadgets, use SYSTANE ULTRA Lubricant Eye Drops and don't use your regular solution! This is clinically proven to deliver extended protection and high-performance dry eye symptom relief that lasts. And I personally use it 3-5 times a day. It can be used for your eyes even if you are not wearing contact lenses.
6. See your eye care practitioner every 12 to 24 months or as advised by the ECP
7. Do not top off or add new solution to old solution in the contact lens case when storing lenses
8. Replace lenses as recommended by the ECP
9. Only use recommended contact lens solution
10. In the event of discomfort, take lenses out and consult the ECP
I know that you love keeping an eye on your loved ones during these trying times but never forget to take care of yourself and your beautiful eyes too. I hope you keep these do's and don'ts of wearing and caring for contact lenses to heart. #AlconCares